PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA lands at wrong airport.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 14:33
lifeafteraviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really? Because two so called experienced Pilots land their EFIS GPS equipped modern 737NG with two lovely big ND's at the wrong Airport. They must not have been trained to look at the Map during approaches ( visual or Instrument ) or to update and maintain the FMC.
This is an absolutely insane and ignorant thing to say....I don't even need to explain why. Clearly you typed this out purely on an emotional charge.

SWA train and maintain their standards so they must also take responsibility for the error. They should be trained to update the Legs page to ensure it reflects what they are doing ( within reason, I'm not expecting waypoint building to design a visual approach ) and trained to expect their landing runway to be in front of them on the ND during approach!!
Of course the airline will take responsibility for the error, that's what any airline would and should do. The pilots will take responsibility also. But to assume these guys weren't already thoroughly trained not to do this is just silly. We're all thoroughly trained not to crash but it sometimes happens unfortunately. I could very well happen to you nitpicker if you continue with this line of thinking ("oh I've been trained not to land at the wrong airport unlike SWA pilots so it can't happen to me")

As I've said before even on a visual approach ( yes we still do quite a few all over the World ) we still have the approach ( ILS/RNAV/VOR ) selected so we get:-

1/ a missed approach in the box, yes it may not be the one ATC want you to fly off a visual but it's a start.
2/ distance to run
3/ electronic path info from the VNAV. ( depending on app selected and a/c type )
4/ SITUATIONAL AWARENESS.

This is what I mean by Airline Culture. They obviously aren't training their crews to do this most basic of Airmanship stuff.

They obviously looked out the window and ignored the FMC. They probably didn't have a runway selected in the first place!!
This is exactly what you said....basic airmanship stuff. Of course they're being trained to do this and I can't imagine it's not part of their SOP...everybody should do this and pretty much everybody does. If these guys didn't do it in this instance it's their fault and they'll get punished...until you know...stop making wild ridiculous allegations. It's very likely they did everything right setting up for the approach and just plain old had a brain fart.

Most basic of mistakes.
Yes it was...the only part of this post that is really making any sense.

No excuses I'm afraid, if an Airline allows crews to make this mistake then obviously something is missing
I'll tell you what, let's put out a memo not to land at the wrong airport...that'll fix it...never happen again! why didn't they think of this earlier?