PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Instruments Vs Car Instruments and readability
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 10:37
EDMJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it not easier to make aircraft panels follow the same advanced ergonomics as modern day cars, and will the transition be easier for those who already drive cars before they learn to fly?
That question has essentially been answered in post #3.

You don't need any instruments in a car to complete the drive alive, when flying IFR you need quite a few to ensure the same outcome. You don't have to look at any in a particular order either. Most of them don't even have any coolant temperature and/or oil pressure gauges any more either, which leaves a lot of space for "creativity". I fly an aircraft with an engine which is partially liquid cooled. It has to achieve a certain coolant and oil temperature before you start taxying, do I'd need some indication of these parameters. The oil pressure gauge provides vital trend information about the engine's health, so I'f prefer to have that too. And there are many other examples.

Additionally, angling parts of an instrument panel towards the left seat would not please an instructor in the right seat.

While the General Aviation industry could learn a lot from automotive technology (in fact they are probably very well aware of what is going on there, but it's too costly to certify or too heavy), it wouldn't be how to lay an instrument panel or a PFD. Seats, restraint systems, interior panels and engine technology is more likely to spring to mind. And most of it adds weight anyway.

Those of you who are pilots would you prefer to have 777 PFD staring at you from the instrument panel of your Cessna 172 or Piper PA-28 light plane in place of steam gauges canted helpfully upwards toward? Both in terms of convenience and safety? Do you find the GA glass displays seem cluttered compared to those of big jets?
Why would I want a "777PFD" when there are plenty of those things around tailored for small aircraft (google "Aspen" and "G1000")? I fly strictly VFR in a C172, so a glass cockpit is overkill for me and I prefer "steam gauges". I also fly 3-axis microlights where I'd be perfectly happy with an ASI only. My flying club has a C172 with steam gauges and one with a Garmin G1000 ("glass cockpit"). I have no intention of flying the latter for VFR only, as I am concerned that it would entice to me spend too much time with my eyes inside the aircraft.

Last edited by EDMJ; 23rd Jan 2014 at 10:53.