PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 10:15
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
Slightly disappointing in that there isn't an awful lot of new stuff. Once again I notice that the airspeed, whilst very low at 35 kts, was still quite recoverable when the co-pilot called it. But it took 8 seconds to reach full power by which time it was too late.

The engines on an L2 etc accelerate very quickly, you could probably go from 24% to 100% Tq in 2 seconds and thus have recovered the situation. Less than 2 seconds with a bit of rotor droop.

I do wonder to what extent the reluctance to make a rapid collective movement was linked to a desire not to reveal to the passengers that something had gone badly wrong. Is it in part, at even a subconscious level, a result of the culture of passengers complaining about, and pilots having to explain, the slightest deviation from normality, with big stick oil company constantly banging the "we pay your salary so you are totally accountable to us for every minutia of your misdeeds"?

ps, is it just me, or is everyone seeing another 2 phantom pages on this thread (117 and 118) that cannot be accessed? Edit: they've disappeared now!

Last edited by HeliComparator; 23rd Jan 2014 at 10:32.