PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 07:43
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In deference to Jayland for I am out of date on this one but:

Originally Posted by mahogany bob
we need MPA even if only to- check illegal fishermen,monitor drug/ arms runners,coordinate rescue operations,conduct maritime anti terrorist ops,prosecute polluters etc etc.
We used to undertake oil rig surveillance patrols on behalf of the Dept for Energy or whatever it was called then. We also used to patrol for the MAFF and DAFS. And anyone can report a PolRep (even done it from a Dominie).

Essentially a 4-engined LRMP was too expensive and the ministries, having seen how effective we were, went and leased their own aircraft, small twin-props IIRC.

On coordination of rescue, certainly this was done and done well but was essentially a civil aid matter. Provision of SAR was an essential military function but times change. Would the RAF get a fixed wing SAR role at the same time as it is civilianising the RW elements?

Your P3 solution would be cheaper but still more expensive than the Dakota that was used after we stopped doing oil patrols.