PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When noise complaints turn nasty.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 06:55
Old Wannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport noise

Folks may very well remember the attempt by a noisy few who live close by the Caloundra airport a few years back to close that airport due to “noisy and dangerous” operation of aircraft, primarily rotary aircraft. At the time Chopperline bent over backwards to appease this very vocal minority. In about 2011 the local Council (who administer the airport) and the State Government (who own the airport) tipped a bucket of cold water on the debate by ruling that the airport stays.
On 16 Jan 2014 and letter appeared in the local paper (Caloundra Weekly) which I feel I must transcribe here as evidence of the mentality of these airport noise protestors. It reads:

“Words drowned out.
BELLS Reach and Belvista residents need to know that Noosa Council has just voted to restrict helicopters using Teewah air strip.
If Saturday, January 11 and Sunday 12th’s activity is a guide, 40-plus movements on Saturday and 40-plus movements on Sunday, these operators have already relocated.
“Becker” had two machines, and there was also a blue and yellow contraption operating continuously on both days over the estates. During this time it was impossible to have a conversation on the verandah.
Our local councilor does not live in the area and I suspect will do nothing or little about the situation, but I for one will not give up until we receive the consideration and respect we deserve from these operators and council.
People power can change this, and I think we can.
Shouldn’t be too hard: phone calls, letters, email, Facebook, Twitter, use whatever means you can to put an end to this blatant abuse of our privacy and rights."
(signed) Maurie Woodward, Belvista

As you well know Mr. Woodward, the Caloundra airport has been there for some 40 years. Belvista was developed in the last 10 to 15 years and Bells Reach only opened last year. You knew there was an airport there and you choose to live there. Residents of Bells Reach have to sign a disclaimer when purchasing acknowledging that their properties are as close as 60 metres to the runway and cannot complain about noise.

Regarding the Noosa Councils statement that they are banning all except emergency movements are the Teewah airstrip, good luck guys. The airstrip is owned by the National Parks and situated within a National Park. The closest house is a few kilometres from the airstrip and the toffee nosed wingers in the Noosa area are only complaining about aircraft overflying their homes (legally) at 1000 + feet. I am not a pilot but am sick and tired of the winging, wailing and lies issuing from this brainless minority who have nothing better to do with their lives. Sometimes I wonder if they really do have a life at all.