PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru Bad experience
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 03:58
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
I looked at a Jabiru 3300 for the project, but after reading of the horrific reliability issues and the stupidity of their cylinder head design, not to mention the voodoo necessary to cool them evenly and then of course their known carburettor issues (swirl vanes and flow straighteners anyone?) I gave them a big miss.

The UL power uncertified engines grew as a direct result of Jabirus head in the sand behaviour over helicopter engines.

The South African Jabiru fuel injection project grew as a direct result of Jabirus head in the sand behaviour over carburetion.

The liquid cooled heads project grew as a direct result of Jabirus head in the sand behaviour over cylinder head cooling and sealing.

Frankly, I want nothing to do with a company that isn't prepared to engage with its customer base, admit its fault and actively work with its customers to improve its product.

I now have a 912 iS sitting in its box, and I know that engine was tested in real life in Africa with crap fuel and a less than perfect operating environment and according to the people Im in contact with, it passed with flying colours.