PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STANSTED - 2
Thread: STANSTED - 2
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 20:28
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was it not the case that BAA were forced to sell STN but wanted to keep hold of it right up to the end.
They wanted to sell at the top of the market, not quite where STN was, that's reasonable.
Skipness why do all of you recent posts all seem to be anti STN, are you joining LGS & the Luton Fanboys?
I replied to a similar point under Dundee which I have moved here for relevance. I have no beef in local turf wars, I really, really don't.
Moved from the Dundee thread
Skipness One Echo I must ask. Why are you so anti anything and everything Stansted?
I think STN is a great airport, I have used it many times with Ryanair. However I think an understanding of the demographics, why NAX moved to LGW, why American did not remain after EOS collapsed, why Continental gave up, why SAS, Lufthansa and Air UK went away are helpful. Also to understand why the remaining core operation is easyJet and Ryanair, Air Berlin and Germanwings, there are quantifiable reasons for what works and what went away forever. Domestic services on say, Do328s to Scotland are filed firmly under yesteryear. As for anyone who thinks the Aurigny service to JER/GCI is genuinely comparable is mistaken, one cannot board a train to the channel islands so one turboprop each day has 100% of the point to point market. This is really taxpayer subsidy to allow businessmen on expenses to save minutes in Scotland that they'll need to lose at the other end getting into London from STN, if it's for leisure that's even worse as EDI is already very accesible from Dundee. The taxpayer has absolutely no business here.
It's not about me hating "Team Stansted", I am just staggered at how in business, a lack of institutional memory (or stupidity / naivety) allows a lot of money to be wasted repeating the same mistakes.
I fully support the based airlines doing what they do but the waters get muddied badly when people witter on about expanding STN with two runways into a "hub" when they singularly fail to see why it's sitting half empty with one runway. It's a market behaviour, a real world, business friendly quanitfiable metric, not all that complex. I wholly support STN for what it is and try not to laugh to hard at those trying to sell it as something it's never been. Where else do you see Ryanair and easyJet in such "palatial" surroundings as some Irish CEO once said?

Indeed, this flight has been running for over 20 years and is well used.
Aurigny nowadays rather than Rockhopper.
Do I need to touch on the fact it has connections to god knows how many destinations via FR & EZY
Go educate yourselves. I bet half of you don't even have the experience of ever having used Stansted.
I think you need to educate yourself first.
Number of connections offered by Ryanair = Zero
Number of connections offered by easyJet = Zero
They are point to point low cost operators who don't offer connections. That's the whole business model, by all means fly from Scotland to STN and connect but at your own risk and more than likely on easyJet....
unlike it's competitor at 'Bedfordshire International'.
= tribal silliness really, come on.

Last edited by Skipness One Echo; 22nd Jan 2014 at 20:39.