PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats the best way to become an airline pilot these days???
Old 9th Apr 2003, 21:37
sgarvey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the best way to become an airline pilot these days???

hi there,
I'm 18 years old and im on the path to following my lifelong dream of being a pilot but i need some help. I know now is probably a bad time to go into becoming a pilot after 9/11 and the iraq war etc. but im stil determined to get there. i've no actual flying experience myself yet but i intend on getting an introductory flying lesson soon. I know becoming an airline pilot is huge money, which i dont have (being only 18 and all). would my best bet be to get my PPL first and then do my IR and CPL? What should i do? Are there any companies out there wiling to sponsor young wanabe pilots like myself? Im studing engineering in Trinity college but i'm dropping out to persue this career and also the fact that i dont want to continue with it because its too difficult and boring. Can anyone please tell me what i should do? Also how much will all this cost? Thank you.

Stephen

Just to add that i'm living in ireland. i would like to train here in ireland also, i know of the companies west air in kildare and southaer in cork. Are these good flying schools? Thanks.

Steve