PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop bashing "P2F"
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 18:01
cumbrianboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to resist adding to the fire but wanted to make a point / ask a question...

So, I'm a newly qualified CPL/IR. And like '000s of other CPL/IRs out there looking at what to do next. Now, I'm not stupid, I'd like to think far from it, and I entered into the training in complete knowledge that this stage now would be the hardest, but you're never quite prepared for just how hard it is.

As for pay to fly, I think if I am flying, or co-flying an aircraft, and someone has paid for the load to be carried (ie. fare paying passengers or revenue generating freight is in the back) then the crew should be paid. Otherwise it is purely driving up the profit of the operator and exploiting the pilot. And if an operator can not survive and pay the crew then you should ask if their business is viable - would cabin crew pay to fly and who get;s who out of the schtick when it all goes pear shaped?

if the aircraft is flying for the purposes of training me, or purely for the purpose of furthering my career (and is a pure cost centre with no revenue generated) then I can see an argument for my making a contribution to this cost.

As for type ratings, yes I can see some argument for some derisking of the costs for the operator, after all what if they rate me and then I bugger off, but this can be contracted to be in both parties interest.