PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2003, 20:49
cloudancer100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baginton Kings Cup Air Race-old programme

Lets run through some of those famous names in the annals of (Miles in particular) aviation history,that old programme brings back some memories because I am proud to say that I was there and met all of these great pilots,so lets see what they got up to-

Peter Clifford,amazing chap,imported Zlins,agent for Omnipol,ran a maintenance organisation at Kidlington and lived in a little cottage on the airfield visible from the main road,surrounded with old aircraft,flew with him once on an airtest in a Super Aero 45 his attention to detail was astounding,he knew Czech aircraft in and out.

Buster Paine-flew Proctors,chief engineer for Orion Airways (the ones with Vickers Vikings not the later one with Boeing 737's) then director of Derby Aviation later to become British Midland Airways,raced the Miles Hawk Speed Six G-ADGP.

Percy Blamire-Late of the Ring Road Garage in Coventry,founder member of the Coventry Aeroplane club,once held an agency for Auster Aircraft,owner of Miles Gemini G-ALZG raced in all gold with blue trim,well known for his low level flights down the railway line as a practise course from Baginton to Berkswell where he lived,lost one leg in a motorcycling accident and had a special rudder pedal set up,involved with 84 squadron ATC.

David Ogilvy-Well it would take a book to write about this chap,once manager at Shuttleworth,flew De Havilland Mosquitoes with Derby Aviation/Spartan Air Services magnetometer research aircraft,flew for Skyfame museum,excellent author on aeroplane and relevant engine handling,now saves airfields from closure,well I think that he is still doing this ?

A.J.Spiller-Well known for his Miles Messenger G-AKIN which is now with a flying trust after being in the family for many years,had his own airstrip on his farm and welcomed visiting aircaft and their owners.

Jimmy Denyer-Newcastle Aero Club CFI,entered almost every year in the Kings Cup flying Tiger Moths and Austers,amazing navigational skills flew the Tiger down from Woolsington,no radio or nav aids in far from perfect weather.
Had a hearty team of supportors who used to carry him on their shoulders ! he found time for me as a young lad to sign my programme when he did well one year,wonder if he is still around ?

Neil Williams-Once again could fill a book with anecdotes on his life,flipped a Zlin onto its back when the wing bolt failed,flipped it over last minute to land,aerobatic pilot supreme,excellent aviation author,sadly lost his life with his wife ferrying a Heinkel bomber from Spain when it struck a mountain in bad weather trying to get through a gap.
Flew Tiger Moths before he could get hold of a Stampe SV.4 from France.

Beverly Snook-Well known for his long distance ferry flights in Piper Comanches for Vigors Aviation etc long distance fuel tanks strapped right behind his back ! aviation consultant.

Westoby-well known businessman from Blackpool who had his own maintenance company-still alive ?

Noel Husbands-Owner of several aircraft over the years,came from Fairwood Common,Swansea,once he forgot to put the racing number underneath the wings of his Benz Mraz Sokol G-AIXN,I came to the rescue got on my back with my brushes and painted the white circle and black numerals,he asked me what he owed me and I said,give me a flight around the Kings Cup course ! he did and frightened the life out of me,low level and flat out !

If anyone can add any more to the above please do.
What happened to Geoff Marler,Nat Somers ? for whom I know nothing about.