PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Over Maintenance
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 09:14
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dubbleyew eight just take schedule 5 as an example. Strip it and expand it to cover anything that is not covered and make it look nothing like the original (format wise ).

Call it something completely different and reapply to make it your SOM. Not everyone uses Sched 5. Looking at my paperwork about 70% , the other 30% are smart operators.

Of course if you make ridiculous claims like engine TBO is 4000 hours for your piston banger then you will be knocked back.

I cant see the problem ! As with this whole thread it seems people are too lazy to write their own SOM of maintenance and just accept Sched 5 as their only default choice.
It’s an extra special regulatory system that produces that kind of thinking and outcome.

So if I take a copy of Schedule 5 and take out the line about maintaining the lavatory because my aircraft doesn’t have one, I’m in trouble with CASA if the aircraft’s maintained to that Schedule. If I take a copy of Schedule 5 and change the font and take out the line about maintaining the lavatory because my aircraft doesn’t have one, put in a Mickey Mouse heavy landing inspection and lightning strike inspection and call it System of Maintenance, CASA will approve it as an SOM? And I’m lazy if I don’t put myself through such an utterly pointless exercise?

CASA says Schedule 5 is inadequate for ageing aircraft, but they’ll approve an SOM that results in less maintenance for that aircraft? Have I got that right?