PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt. Lt. Sean Cunningham inquest
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2014, 19:38
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mort, Don't wish to enter a willy waving contest over bolts. Your way would mean that the overall bolt length and also the thickness of the nut was extremely critical. too long bolt- too thin nut and it would float. too short bolt and too thick nut, insistent one and a half threads that could be two; could pinch. The critical test would be the rotation rather than the number of threads protruding.

I only did just over 35 years including 14 as the EA for some similar kit. I worked with Martin Lowe for a spell. I certainly noted the erosion of engineering support staff over the years in that team. Under his name sake The safety managers post migrated to become some sort of Business Manger. even became manned by a blanket stacker shortly afterwards (a fine one mind). The guys down in the old billet blocks at Wyton who came from CSDE etc were disbanded. the posts were supposed to be absorbed by the IPTs but no one wanted the head count on the MCT

Contrary to what Tuc states about 714/715 we continued to use the forms and process well into the mid 2000s, probably at the insistence of the last Gp Capt IPTL* we had. Including completing all the Cost and Brief sheets and providing the safety argument with evidence to support his signature on the Mod.

* Great bloke went on to do something in swimming.

As Tuc also states we would have had a RPO or at least a VPO/ PDS officer and the DGDQA support who would turn up like clock work to LTCs/ Mods Ctee/PDS meetings etc. They would know the kit intimately. I figure we leaned so far we fell over. And the consequences... well we spend so long reminding ourselves about them on here.

It would not really be right for me to comment on the skills of these SAC Techs over JTs working on this kit. however in my line of business (not bang seats) I certainly noted an erosion in skills and competence over the years manifesting itself in lost sorties, incomplete and broken kit, some very poor husbandry. I made myself very unpopular grumbling about it for over 30 years. Pleased to be away from it in some ways. Now I am consumed by the build up of struvite in pumps. Could not be further away from planes.