PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet SSTR
Thread: Easyjet SSTR
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2003, 18:23
Captain Cautious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eagerbeaver,

Having a 737 t/r usually makes your application stand out a little from the crowd and may increase your chances of an assessment day at eJ. However, they are unlikely to accept you without putting you through a full type rating course again or at least a comprehensive refresher course. Expect to have to sign a bond for the training. The standards within eJ are very high, and the company will not accept a bought t/r as proof of competence.

For the other wannabes here, take not of Snigs posts as he seems to have a fairly good idea of how things work at eJ.

The TRSS scheme has been designed to offer opportunities to low hour pilots whilst increasing the training that they will undertake and protecting the companies investment in these relatively high training risk candidates. At the same time we continue to employ a significant number of more experienced pilots from the regional airlines, the military and some of the majors. I think that the scheme itself is a good one but I am slightly concerned at the way that it is developing. The more applications that we get from pilots with >1500hrs willing to accept the TRSS offer the more the company becomes keen to recruit from this scheme at the expense of those through the Direct Entry process.

Regarding the roadshows, I do sometimes wonder why we feel the need to expend the effort when so many are already knocking on the door. However, it does help to keep you guys informed, and chatting to eJ pilots and recruitment staff over tea and cookies pressumably is better for you than recieving faceless emails or indeed hearing nothing at all.

Regarding maximum hours SEP as per earlier post. I came from a self improver/instructing background, and I don't regret doing it for one moment. However, I do regret that I fell into a bit of a rut waiting for things to improve. I spent a total of 6 years instructing with over 2000 hours in the log book. If you are in a similar position you are unlikely to stand out from the crowd unless you have some more relevant experience. I would advise that you make all effort to get some multi crew commercial experience on a turbo-prop or better still a small / medium jet. If that proves impossible then commercial IFR flying of some sort within GA would also improve your chances slightly.

I know that is easy for me to say, and job offers are not just turning up on your doorstep. I hated it when a Britannia pilot told me the same thing 10 years ago as I forlornly looked out of the flying club window seeing nothing bigger than a 172! The truth is though that he was right and I should have been far more proactive in my job search.

Best of luck to all of you out there, and I hope that your lucky break comes soon.