PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt. Lt. Sean Cunningham inquest
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2014, 16:23
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mort,
Words are easily confused. Did you leave "only" one and a half threads or "at least" one and a half threads.
As a teenager my dad gave me his 1950s fitters notes (AP****) I still have them in the garage. I am guessing that we are of an age where we take our basic training for granted and don't need telling the obvious.

The number of threads protruding is no indication of the tension in the bolt.

I saw a description of the bolt in an earlier post describing a thin head. implies a sheer bolt. years back it was more normal for these to have castle nuts and spilt pins rather than the stiffnuts shown in the pictures in todays BBC video. In this case they should allow the assembly to rotate freely. difficulty torque tightening stiffnuts. particularly if they were reused. heard a number of myths in my time over how many times they could be reused anyway. just chuck them and use new each time for the sake of a few pence.

No one has said if these are standard AGS/BS items. Martin Baker had the habit of issuing their own part numbers for standard bits anyway.

Sad affair. lets hope they come clean and get to the bottom of the problem and share the findings so lessons can be learned.

reading the transcript I wonder why Mr Cameron [of MB not the other one] feels the need to defend Himself by saying it was before his time rather than just present the evidence or give his expert opinion.