PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC135 HEMS accident in Norway
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2014, 14:15
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
No argument there Zorba....I believe we should take all the Warning Labels off stuff and let nature take its course.

Re the Fire Brigade incident that I refer to....if it were my local Volunteer Fire Department that did that....I would be making the exact same comments. However, knowing the guys and gals that serve there.....they would have found a way to get the guy out of the hole and damn the Rules as they would value that single life above mere compliance with a Rule for the Rule's sake.

There was a huge outcry in your own media about that tragedy so nothing new in my bringing it up.

We need Rules....but they should be reasonable and actually address a problem that cannot be cured by sheer good will of those involved in the activity.

There are Industry Best Practices that can be drawn from many sources and those are what we should embrace....so long as they are good, effective, and reasonable.

The Nanny State Mentality is not good, effective, or reasonable.

Regarding EMS Operations.....we have to decide how to go about doing this important and necessary work in as safe a manner as possible contingent to getting the job done.

We do not benefit from losing crews, patients, and aircraft while engaged in that pursuit.

I defy anyone to prove that any existing service is "perfect".

I also defy anyone to prove that any one system or method is "perfect".

There is no way under the Sun there is any one NAA that has the exact right set of Rules and Regulations regarding EMS Operations......NOT ONE.

We have to accept there shall be different rules in different places but they should be constructed to allow the maximum flexibility for carrying out safe, efficient medical transportation of injured and ill persons.

We know for a fact that NAA's are not known for being adept at finding such solutions.