PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ossie Ardiles involved in car accident in Falkland Islands
Old 21st Jan 2014, 12:17
Laarbruch72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having driven a Defender from Mount Pleasant to Stanley and back (that being my total experience of FI driving), I would have thought you'd have to go some to have an RTA.

There are loads of accidents on FI roads. It’s not so much the roads that cause problems, it’s people’s inability to adapt to them. There are usually a couple of accidents every month, despite the in theatre briefings spelling out the risks ad nauseam. The most common cause of accidents is excessive speed going into a gravel bend, with the vehicle skidding straight on and into the ditch.

Wander: There are still very few tarmac sections. It never ceased to make me wonder how their placement was planned, they seem to have been placed at random in parts, so you’ll get 100m of tarmac, then 300m of gravel, then another random lump of tarmac before yet more gravel. Any idea how this came to pass? It seems very inefficient as well as haphazard.