PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC135 HEMS accident in Norway
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2014, 12:06
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
Shy.....when One begins speaking for others it is fraught with peril.

Read back through the posts and you shall find I am an advocate of twin engine, stabilized, Auto pilot equipped helicopters for EMS....on both sides of the great saltwater divide. I do point out that the current FAA Regulations allow for the use of Single Engine helicopters for Day and Night EMS work.

There is a huge difference in telling what the Law allows.....and endorsing those Regulations.

I very much supported the use of NVG's....when the FAA was not willing to act rapidly to field that technology. Now that they have....Operators are putting additional restrictions on their crews if NVG's are not being used for some reason.

You shall also see I have been one of the most ardent objectors to the FAA's former practice of allowing an EMS Operator to fly under Part 91 when not actually carrying a Patient.....thus reverting to a much lower standard for surface lighting by which to control the aircraft and weather minima.

The FAA has changed their position lately on that and now all EMS operations are required to be conducted under Part 135 which has a higher standard for Surface Lighting and Weather.

I have been very critical of the American system of EMS Operations re Safety.

Go back and do a search and see how many threads related to that I have started related to the topic....that alone would show I have been a proponent of change within the American system.

When NVG use was being advocated for the UK EMS operations....I suggested you learn from our experience in fielding that technology as we were further down that road than you. Far better you read about other's mistakes than repeat them yourself I would assume.

I was complimentary to other Nation's EMS systems....and until recently pointed out the success the Canadians were having although the situation at Ornge has caused that to be less appropriate. But there even, we see them taking important steps to improve the situation at off heliport landing sites.

You know that.....what you cannot abide is to have me criticize your system and point out aspects of it that would benefit from change or improvements.

Thus, your post very much misrepresents my views and past statements.

I have taken the position that you folks in the UK and EASA land have Rules that prevent the conduct of helicopter EMS operations at Night due to being over burdened with needless and arbitrary Rules.

We provide a 24 hour a day service.....with over 800 aircraft in the Helicopter Fleet doing EMS Work. With that amount of activity, we have seen the need to adapt, change, and improve what we do.

The Industry itself resisted the changes, the FAA surely did not come willingly to the party, the NTSB was slow to get behind the move for change, but we have improved the system.

The decrease in the accident rate proves that.

There are aspects of what we do that still is not as it should be.....but the situation is improving.

Have you done a fair, objective, critical analysis of the UK EMS system?

Care to share your findings with us?

Are you merely filling convenient niche needs....or are you providing a nationwide 24 hour a day EMS service for Emergency Medical Transportation and Seriously Ill Medical Patients?

Are there sufficient resources available to provide a 24 Hour service?

Is there a need for such a service?

Are EMS Operations adequately equipped to provide advanced life support services?

Are Ground Services trained and equipped to facilitate the use of EMS Helicopters?

Are Emergency Services, ground and air, properly equipped, trained, and proficient to effect communications during Helicopter EMS Operations?

Are there approved weather reporting facilities within the EMS Operation's Dispatch area sufficient to ensure accurate and timely weather reporting for use by Pilots in planning flights on short notice?

Is ATC capable of handling very short notice flights without risk of conflict or delay?

How long a list of questions do you want?

We cannot compare UK Ops to American Ops as they are being done in very different environments....physically, politically, and commercially....but the basics are the same.

I think the UK EMS system is no where near its potential yet and is hampered by a lack of support and budget. Germany and Norway seem to be leading the way in Europe.....perhaps in time the UK will catch up.

Last edited by SASless; 21st Jan 2014 at 12:38.