PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru Bad experience
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2014, 11:26
Two_dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaba,

I was in no way questioning your opinion, or inferring you were in any way factory aligned or opinionated. In fact I look forward to your input; you seem to know what you are talking about in most cases.

I just feel that with current technology, better design and manufacture is possible if the dollars are spent wisely. This may include stronger (more expensive) alloys used in component production. If a head needs torqueing down every 25 hours, is this the cheap retaining bolts stretching or the cheap alloys compressing?

Of course it all costs motza dollars in certification, but surely the same cost for any level of design; just higher design and build costs? “Build it and they will come”

This is purely my opinion; I hold no engineering qualifications at all, but have successfully built more than one high performance V8 engine, gearbox, limited slip differential, auto transmission etc. This was all done by research, (Haynes Manuals, God bless em) and following the accepted current engineering practices. Of course, I had an advantage, I was using superior parts with a proven history. I did not have to design or manufacture them myself.

As an aside, I grew up on Cleveland and Windsor 302 and 351 engines. I can still remember the beautiful note they produced running on a twin 2’’ sports exhaust system, particularly the Ford XY GTHO Phase III shifting into top gear some five miles (remember them) out of town.

Last edited by Two_dogs; 21st Jan 2014 at 11:32. Reason: Kant spell proper