PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2014, 17:44
Danny42C

Fish (no, Flying Boats) out of water.

DHfan and mmitch,

This is very heartening news indeed - thanks ! I remember a time in the late '60s, at Leeming IIRC, when one (BBMF ?) came in for some reason and I climbed aboard furtively to have a look for old times' sake.

I was appalled at the host of little red warning plaques all over the front panels: Do not exceed 180 ASI, Do not do This, Do not do That - you'd be afraid to press the starter button !......D.

Chugalug,

(Tongue in cheek) How would it be if you just landed the 'boat gently on the ice surface ? Shouldn't cause any damage (I believe thay have been landed on runways when need arose - or when an amphibious Catalina pilot forgot the wheels !). And if the ice gave way when you came to rest, you'd float anyway. (Reminds me of the horror story from the Russian-Japanese war early last century: Lake Baikal was frozen really deep, they ran a temporary rail line over the ice to cut the corner, troop train goes puffing across, one stretch not frozen deep enough (unsuspected warm springs below).

Train plus track goes through. I believe the carriages are still there; the skeletons sitting with their rifles between their knees. Or so they say.

Admittedly, you'd have a long landing run, but then Lough Erne is very big, and I suppose you could cast out a kedge anchor ! How would the crew get ashore ? Teach 'em to skate !.....D.

Cheers, everybody. Danny.