PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gear does not retract - Emergency turn?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2014, 09:54
Good Business Sense

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not a stupid question at all - the armchair simulator is one of the best devices in aviation.

Had it happen (widebody) a couple of times - although lots of wheels and doors hanging out there performance should be better than engine out. No emergency turns should be needed - don't forget there is padding in all PANS OPS/TERPS procedures but once you go off road !!!! .... if concerned don't forget to use ATC and their radar if available. Also remember the greatest drag from the gear is when it is in transition - you might want to wait until above MSA to run checklists.

In the MELs of some aircraft you can get some information on gear down performance after take-off - these procedures are used when brakes are locked out etc. It usually gives you a weight penalty and from that you can get a good idea of the climb performance gear down.

You might also ask the cabin crew if they heard anything etc - it might not help too much to know there was a big bang on rotate but it might give you part of the jigsaw.

If the gear just won't come up and you've got all three greens be in the mind set that you don't want to make a drama out of a crisis so take your time and very carefully follow the checklist. You don't want to damage the gear and end up with a red.... when you had three greens to start with.

Remember, resist the temptation to go into the normal clean up attitude - observe the max gear speed as you climb - in my situations I levelled above the terrain at around 15,000 feet to deal with the problem all the while continuing to destination.

If you do get the gear up - who knows what might happen at the other end whether you decide to return or if you continue to destination. Lower the gear much earlier and of course, there is a gear down go around to consider.

The biggest shock that I got first time was the effect on the fuel - even on a short one hour sector at standard uplifts you might have a problem continuing to destination. In both of my situations I had the gear up and tucked away by about 20,000 feet (15 minutes ?) and I really struggled to continue to destination one hour away. It really did eat the fuel.

No egg sucking tutorial intended