PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electronic Logbook keeping (need for hand written too?)
Old 20th Jan 2014, 07:10
grumpytroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually..

The electronics I use are very simple. I use a microsoft excel spreadsheet that I created in just a few minutes and believe me I am not computer literate. I can attach all kinds of pictures to it including photos of the actual aircraft I flew, and the crew. I don't do it for every flight but it is very easy and makes the log book a wonderful memory book that I can print separately with just the written and necessary details or with the photos and I can also attach written notes about the flight. For example I did a forest fire mission when in the army back in 88 so I have attached photos and a journal along with the cross country routing to get from Ft. Campbell, KY to Idaho and back, photos of water dropping, firefighters and helispots along with shots of us floating down the river on our army issue rubber mattresses etc., some notes about what we did on our off times etc. and the names of the people in my unit at the time etc. So the electronic log is truly the whole story of that trip, not just the flight time. I even did some annual check training while there so attached a copy of the grade slip. I had to get a bunch of my old photos digitized but that was very easy to do at a local shop. I really enjoy it because it reminds me of the details and not just the memory that I did the trip. Now I have a rather large electronic logbook that covers 30 years of flying and the photos and written memories to boot so if I want to actually see what a certain N number aircraft looked like, all I have to do is click! Its also searchable so if someone says hey did you ever fly with Joe Blow or operate N-12345 I can look it up very quickly.
Since most companies give me a wonderful electronic record of flight times these days, it is very easy to sit on a plane or at the office and plug in the details and attach the photos which then inspires the journal entry.

Consider it.

Cheers