PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B Mandate – ATCs Responsible for Deaths?
Old 20th Jan 2014, 07:04
rotorblades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can certainly see two sides to this argument, I can also wholeheartedly say I was a little offended by the title...

Regardless of whether now was or was not the right time to implement ADSB required airspace, a date has/had to be fixed...it would've been preferable for all concerned to have been a date when all aircraft can reasonably have been expected to be heable to receive the equipment, through serv bulletins or whatever, but also a date taste encouraged the manufacturers I te aircraft to actually get it done n not drag their heels forever...

ADSB for GA is very useful on an ATC side of things, probably a bit cost prohibitive for general GA but that's not my argument...for example in the airspace I control on the J Curve we have lots of military airspace & C steps and there are several GA aircraft regularly seen flying around with ADB squirting out..this helps very one out as if we see that aircraft tracking towards or into mil airspace, restricted airspace, CTA we can direct out call specifically, rather than just make a general broadcast for a VFR based on a point/geographic position/Navajos that the pilot not know or be aware of and thus ignore the call thinking it's not him

I'm not saying GA should be forced to get ADSB squitters, before people jump all over me, just that it is a valuable safety device

And dick, don't blame the controllers we have to follow the rules or we lose our controlling privileges and potentially our jobs...blame the ones who made this decision and took the ATCs flexibility away