PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC135 HEMS accident in Norway
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2014, 01:44
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Some LZ training with requesting agencies is better than none.

"jimf671" Said-

"Even if it does, most crews are going to think 'What do they know?' and just do their own thing. Seen it many times."

The PIC is ultimately responsible so, yes- I will do it my way each and every time. Nothing to do with demeaning those on the ground at the scene, their knowledge and experience, if that's your implication.

I will also interface with the requesting agency people on scene, whenever possible, and explain and train further. The better they do, the better we do, all better in the end for the patient population.

My program has a formal presentation that we offer to any and all agencies in our area. If requested, we make every effort to take the aircraft and flight crew to these training sessions. The physical presence and personal interaction reinforces the concepts presented. There is ALWAYS a lively question and answer session when the crew is present.
We remain in service, and if the training presents any potential delay, the program will frequently post other aircraft to provide better service.
Yes, these training sessions are additional to the requesting agencies primary mission and budget. Yet they are very well received.

"To a wet weary copper in the middle of nowhere, helicopters are either black magic or somebody else's problem or both." is an apt appreciation, but my experience is that those people are very, very interested in doing "the job" as well as they can. Offer them something to help, and it will be used.

The requesting agency staff are never Pathfinder level experts, but my belief is that some training is better than complete ignorance. I've been to many, many scenes and seen the value many, many times.

We did it the same way when there were only 3 aircraft in North Georgia, an area approximately the same size and population as Scotland. It's possible we have somewhat better climactic conditions...

Point is: it can be done and it does have a positive effect, even in imperfect conditions.

I don't know what happened in this particular accident, why, and whether ground personnel training and interface would have made any difference. I can see this happening with the pilot looking at the wire that was hit when he hit it.