PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop bashing "P2F"
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2014, 17:54
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I usually ignore threads like this and the OP is very obviously a wind-up merchant but I have decided that the time has come for me to comment upon the so-called Wealthy Bank of Mum and Dad syndrome.

Those of you who know me on pprune will remeber that I spent 47 years flying aircraft productively. (I never flew for BA - nor did I ever want to).

One of my sons showed a great interest and an ability to get involved in aviation. I encouraged him and he did all the right things like joining the Air Cadets, delivering newspapers and working in shops.

He went solo at 16 and got his PPL at 17.

He worked in the local flying club and spent his summer holidays baggage handling etc. He would do almost anything to raise money to go flying.

He wanted to go flying in a professional manner. My son is a very nice person (nicer than me) and he had potential (in my opinion) so we sat him down and had a family conference. We calculated what it would cost for him to go through university on a three-year course and what it would cost us to support him to do a fATPL.

We gave him the choice; university or flying.

He chose flying.

I simply could not have afforded the CTC/OAA route so it had to be a modular route for him.

He started off by going up to London every morning to do the ATPL written exams at London Met. He passed every subject first time.

Next, after a great deal of research, he went to Stapleford. He passed his CPL and his IR first time.

He was sitting at the Ops Desk in the local flying club one morning and he was trying to get on to a website to apply for a Boeing 737 course. The website wasn't working very well so he called them up (in Sweden) to tell them how to fix their website (the arrogance of youth). After the technical discussion, he was told, by the way, we have had a dropout - can you be in Stockholm on Tuesday?

He called me at home and I told him to go for it but I warned him that he would have to repay the cost of his type rating course to me. He got his Boeing 737 rating just after his 20th birthday.

Within 2 years he had repaid my wife and I every single penny.

He has now been in the left seat for almost three years without breaking anything and I am very proud of him.

You might not agree with me but I am a pragmatist. At the time my son was seriously involved in pursuing professional aviation, the RAF, which was his first choice, were not even considering recruiting. Neither were BA or any other sensible airlines.

So, in a nutshell, I helped my son when he needed it and he has repaid me in spades.

I strongly suspect that the naysayers on this thread either have no hope of ever persuading anyone in their family, their bank managers or anyone else in the aviation world (or anywhere else) to train them for free or they have already been judged not fit for purpose and been invited to go and grow mushrooms instead.

So how am I to be judged? As an ex-TRI/TRE, I have assessed thousands of pilots in everything from gliders to airliners. I do not consider that I was a
P2F collaborator. I simply supported my son in his flying career and the results have been excellent.

Incidentally, I always find the comments from the "far too young" clan quite interesting. I was a training captain on a four turboprop aircarft in the RAF at the age of 25.