PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wanting to become an aircraft engineer
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2014, 16:04
B1-3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best advice would be joining the services, if you can hack it. Even if you do 5 years you will be out as an aircraft engineer who has worked on the most up to date kit, you can look at fixed or rotary before you join. The Army, RAF and RN are looking for aircraft engineers so it’s your choice.

As an ex member of the forces who has left before my full time I couldn’t advise it highly enough. I have my EASA licence and FAA A+P now and have used the forces as a springboard in to civil aviation. Take it from me if you go into a civil company with no aircraft experience you will be paid peanuts and may not get the positive start you want. If you join, get a trade and then look at the civil side, you will have, let’s say 5 years and a known background of training. You never know, the forces may help get your Part 66 licence when you are ready to leave.

It’s not the path for everyone but if you’re willing for a crash course in learning, getting a good wage and maybe even seeing some of the world I couldn’t recommend it enough.

Good luck whatever path you take.