PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Identifies Causes of 747’s Landing at Wrong Airport
Old 19th Jan 2014, 07:03
8driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviatorhi:

I don't understand where you're coming from. Even if its clear blue and a million why wouldn't you use all the data available to you? Especially in a heavy jet? The ILS will AUTOTUNE in a -400 for heaven's sake. But especially at night, and at an airport that might have been unfamiliar, why not use everything you have? It doesn't stop you from accepting a visual approach but it helps you maintain a stable approach to the runway. The CORRECT runway. If there isn't an ILS load the RNAV approach, or the LOC, or the VOR and let VNAV generate an electronic path. UPS at Birmingham anyone? Yeah, I did "black hole" approaches into Navy Sigonella in a DC-8. Challenging? Yes. Did I find it especially fun? Nope. How many accidents can be attributed to an unstable approach in heavy jets? I don't understand what you are arguing against. The technology has evolved to a point where we can greatly reduce the chances of landing at the wrong airport (which might not be suitable) or the chances of having a landing incident as a result of an unstable approach. So use the technology, its a no brainer.

3pointlanding

This was a complete F.U by the Captain, nothing more, nothing less and would not have happened if he would have just looked outside.
The exact opposite is true. ALL he was doing was looking outside. If he'd looked at the PROG page of the FMS or at his ND he would've seen he wasn't in the right place. He should've just looked INSIDE once or twice.