PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop bashing "P2F"
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2014, 06:58
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having left it nearly 24 hours since the inception of this thread, I am still confused by the title? "stop bashing "P2F." Pay to Fly? I had always assumed this referred to the vanity publishing type of operators in the world, that charge people for a period of line training with no real prospect of remunerated employment at the conclusion of that "training."

In this case, the poster seems to have completed an integrated (presumably MPL) training course at Oxford, as part of that airlines ab-initio cadet programme. The job/placement and type rating, whilst not guaranteed, were an integral part of the course for which he/she was selected. The "P2F" is in reality pay to train. That is pretty much what every civilian pilot does to a greater or lesser extent. These courses are expensive, but the placement and type rating inclusive aspects offset less expensive courses where those elements are anything but integral.

Going back to the content of the post and reading it again after a days hiatus, as well as putting aside any perceptions of "cockiness" etc. He is very probably right. I regularly advise going down the "cadet" route as being the best fasttrack path into career airline flying these days. In those airlines with these programmes, it is often the methodology utilized by the sons and daughters of long incumbent professional pilots. This is in essence what the poster is saying, and to that extent he is right.

The poster perhaps shows a lack of sensitivity to those in a position less fortunate than his own, but nothing he has said is fundamentally inaccurate.
Perhaps he will be an IRE/TRE in 10 years (or less?) Who knows. I have certainly seen people in his position go on to achieve those appointments, and deservedly so.

He or she is 19. Some off the sharp edges will wear off with increased maturity (hopefully!) That, together with an increased degree of self awareness and tact, certainly will, if the poster is to achieve their longer term objectives. However, he hasn't done anything wrong. He has read the market and perhaps followed the advice of others who have done just that.