PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways B777 recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2014, 06:25
Circumnavigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to work for Jet in 2007-2010, was in first batch of 777 drivers who join Jet in March 2007, so I guess, I can answer some of your questions regarding past experience with Jet. Also I was in BOM a few weeks ago on the layover and spoke to Mr. Menon - GM Planning at Jet about this US bases contract. So I can give you first hand information. It's another story if you can trust everything he said, it's "Incredible India" after all, but in my experience K.B.Menon was one of the most straightforward, knowlegible and fair of all those Jet officials who dealed with expats.

Can Jet back up the promise of three year renewable contracts - is there any law or regulation prohibiting them from extending a three year contract.
Jet, in 2007, offered us a 3 year renewable contracts with 12 days on/9 days off roster, 30 days annual leave and 5 star accommodation, but after being hit quite badly in 2008 crisis with the fuel prices skyrocketed, Jet gradually reduce annual leave to 15 days and hotel quality went down considerably. Also it was a 15 days delay in paychecks but they restored it back to normal after about a year. The rest of the contract was honored to the last letter until Jet dry leased 777 to THY and THAI to survive, and terminated our contracts. For the last 3 months we were sitting at home, fully paid, doing nothing but just waiting for further developments. So I can say that Jet treated me quite fair. If I missed something, whoever has a better memory, please feel free to correct me. Anyway, now with all the UAE money backing them, Jet is in much better financial shape and plans to expand dramatically with AUH hub. Menon told me that JFK, EWR and ORD bases will be operated for sure and after they evaluate initial results, plans are to expand further. The only thing which might remotely limit 3 year contract is a deadline set by Indian government to get rid of expats in Indian Aviation by the end of 2016. But I've already lived through 2 deadlines before. Everybody in aviation community here understand that this is a trick to pacify general public and unions and deadline would be extended again and again for another at least 10 years.

One of its shareholders prefers to have its pilots based in its home country.
No idea what you talking about. You are employed by Indian Airline which pays Indian taxes on your behalf, and your base would be wherever your contract with this Indian Airline states.

Jet, to my knowledge, have 10 B773ERs. Are they going to stay in Jet registrations or will they be wet leased to one of its shareholders.
It'll be Indian registration, so you'll require a Indian validation-FATA and Indian medical. Also it'd be Indian DGCA FDTL rules.

Does anyone have practical experience with the reciprocal tax treaty?
Yes, actually it works quite good with Revenue Canada. Each month you'll get a statement with all your salary numbers including Indian taxes paid on your behalf and by the end of the year you'll get a summary of all numbers. Also you'll get a plastic card with Indian taxpayer number. All that paperwork was quite sufficient to deal with Revenue Canada and after minor adjustments from their side I only did paid the difference- a few %, roughly 2-3 grands a year. In US it works pretty much the same way with some local particularities( talk to your tax advisor). As far as I know, our EU friends, Aussies and Kiwis were quite happy also.

Does anyone have practical knowledge of how the rosters worked in the past, and how they might, or are proposed to work with these contracts. If you operate out of your base, there's 28 hours, and that leaves 52 for the rest of the month. Unless they plan to leave you in a hotel (cost) or put you on night turnarounds, it would seem that you could have quite a bit of time off during your six weeks on.
Menon told me that it'd be only JFK-AUH-JFK run, 4 days on( including 26 hours of flying +48 hours layover at AUH) / 5 days off at JFK(DGCA FDTL requirements). Then repeat. Hotel at AUH and either hotel or $1800 per month allowance at JFK, your choice. After 5 roundtrips (45 days) you'll have two weeks at home. That's the general idea but reality could be a bit different.

Hopefully I was able to answer some of your questions and to put some clarity on overall situation there. Good luck.