PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC135 HEMS accident in Norway
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2014, 02:17
jimf671

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Ever heard of a concept called "Training"? ...

Yes, I have SASless. I do a lot of it and I plan some of it too (including several mountain rescue helicopter exercises every year).

Let's look at the territory I know best. Scotland. It's a bit like Norway, but more compact.

3 Air Ambulances helicopters, one of which has limited capability compared to the other two. 4 SAR bases (2 of which are on islands and not as accessible for training), each of which normally has one aircraft available. Maybe just over 100 crew?

There are approximately 18000 police officers, 7000 firefighters, 2500 ambulance crew, 1000 lifeboat, 1000 mountain rescue, and 500 aux coastguard, any one of whom might have to work with those aircraft at remote locations. That's 30000 people who could end up being on some dodgy piece of ground or water waiting for one of those 7 aircraft to turn up, by day or by night.

Maybe around 1500 of them definitely require helo training because their role may require them to be flown in the aircraft. Another 500 may require to help with winching operations. Keeping those in date is a struggle (and the paperwork just got worse).

About those other 28000 SASless: are you going to come over here and train them on your day off?