PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Over Maintenance
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2014, 01:22
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would that Schedule 5 dealt exhaustively with the ‘when’ of maintenance of aircraft to which it applies. Unfortunately, it doesn’t. Engine maintenance is an example.

PS added:

AO, I’m intrigued by your mate’s “cabin class twin” that had one vac pump fail on the way to Yarrawonga and the other fail on the way back. I am not surprised that it happened, but I’m intrigued to know when the pumps were fitted to the aircraft, and why.

When were those pumps fitted to the aircraft? Was it during the “major refurb”? If yes, were the old pumps working before the “major refurb”?

If yes, that’s about the clearest example of the Waddington Effect as you can get. Two serviceable vac pumps go into the refurb, two unreliable ones come out!

Was the aircraft being maintained to Schedule 5? If the answer is yes, why were the pumps replaced during the “major refurb”? If it’s because of the consequences of the AAT’s decision in Brazier and the regulatory link to the component time life limits in the Manufacturer’s maintenance manual, that’s relevant to the point I made about the Type Certificate holder and issuer being responsible for changing the ICA that perpetuate the Waddington Effect.

Last edited by Creampuff; 19th Jan 2014 at 03:53.