PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop bashing "P2F"
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2014, 22:40
deptrai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No. I'm not sure what that leads to. Please enlighten us.

JS (A former cadet who flies visual approaches, even *gasp* without the autothrust, at every available opportunity.)
The word "cadet" is used for a lot of different people. I have nothing but the highest respect for those who went through a rigorous selection program to join military aviation. That was the origin of the word "cadet". Many european flag carriers had - and very rarely still have - similar programs, selecting highly talented people for a rigorous training program, a little monetary cost to students. Some training departments prefer to fully control training from very early on, rather than trying to correct and improve people with possibly less than perfect habits.

Opposed to that approach, there is the idea that people should "work their way up" through ga etc - a very popular concept in the us and several other countries. (although i think the military there for some reason also prefers to recruit "cadets"). I have nothing but the highest respect for those who "worked their way up through the ranks" as well.

There seem to be some cultural issues with the word "cadet". For many european airlines, training people from the beginning was traditionally a preferred way to recruit a minimum baseline of future captains. Not because it was cheap, on the contrary, they paid for it.

But once you use the word "cadet" for people who pay for their own training, pay for a type rating, and then pay to fly - thats's something different, maybe I'm nitpicking here, but I feel calling them cadets is a bit misleading.

Last edited by deptrai; 18th Jan 2014 at 23:11.