PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harry quits flying
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2014, 22:15
Training Risky

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
We have a Monarchy -whether we like or not.

Personally I think it is the least worst form of constitutional arrangement we could have, given our long proud island history and disastrous flirtation with Republicanism/Theocracy in the 1650s and Euro-Communism prior to the crash of 2008 (discuss!). What's the alternative today? President Dave or Comrade Secretary General Millibland?

The Firm (immortalised in Princess Squidgy's words) is very good at PR - just look at the way it was rehabilitated into the national consciousness after the PR nightmare of Mrs Al-Fayed's death: We have had a genial, accessible young chap marry a middle class girl, a 'multi-culti' Diamond Jubilee, a roguish young JO on detachment in Las Vegas that we can all envy and admire in equal measure. Hell, even ‘Wills and Kate Ltd’ have begun to trademark their ‘brand’.

And yes - the Royals are going to have a cushy time of it: parties, polo and pate. Wouldn’t you if all that money was available? (earned…or given? Discuss!!). I have stated on record on previous threads that a bespoke wings course at Cranditz, a very accelerated captaincy Q on SAR and very carefully and safely managed tours as a FAC/Apache pilot, is nothing more than PR spin for a 24-hour news society obsessed with knowing far more than they need to about the Royals.

Yes the boys may want nothing more than to go on ops and be subjected to the same sh!te that the rest of us had to endure; but due to their constitutional position, they never will. We have to accept it for what it is: the preparation for the heir and the spare to take their places in the Firm in due course, all under the watchful eye of the media, vocal republicans, the establishment and us.

Just my 2p anyway.