PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2014, 15:25
Agnostique75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NTSB's review of SFO's FD

Glendalegoon,

I’m certain that Bubbers44 is able to take as much as he gives and as far as his –not so- rampant xenophobia and his relative indulgence for US "mishaps" are concerned, his track record speaks volumes.

But let’s not get distracted. Together with the performance –or lack thereof- of the flight crew, already much discussed on this forum, the NTSB will also review the performance of the SFO’s fire department. And this seems to be difficult to accept for some members.

Your praise of the “ San Francisco fire fighters (that) are among the very best in the world (and who) have a tradition that only is rivaled (sic) in America by the Chicago fire department” would indeed be most welcome on a firefighters forum, although I believe that many non-San Francisco based American emergency professionals would take issue with such a statement.

But my point is elsewhere. First, the distinction between crew performance and rescue-related performance is only normal. Let me try to explain: If, dead drunk, I smash my car in a tree, this should not constitute an excuse for my garage to repair it poorly.

As I have said over and over again, mistakes happen. What is puzzling is the attitude off the SFO’s fire department Chief. Denial, sanctions taken against a subordinate who –most certainly inadvertently- documented potential shortcomings, a ban on useful forensic tools used by law enforcement professionals around the world, all this smacks more of a desire to cover up an unpleasant reality rather than facing it, analysing it and drawing lessons for the future. And this should be a legitimate concern for all those involved in aviation, crews and passengers alike.

I am convinced the NTSB is not biased against the SOF’s FD and we could may be discuss this issue again once its report is out. And while I would not rule out a tar and feather episode, I will agree with you that this won’t take anything away from the dedication of individual emergency professionals in San Francisco, the US or anywhere else in the world.

At the same time, I hope that you are also prepared to accept that a degree of positive criticism might be part of this report.

Last edited by Agnostique75; 18th Jan 2014 at 15:36.