PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 18th Jan 2014, 12:53
Tandemrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max Takeoff

No problem. People get too easily offended here sometimes!

You said talk of fuel problems may be a red herring, and that is certainly my position. I say that for a number of reasons. Not least due to the scenarios I have given in a couple of posts recently.

I have no idea of your background, but I accept it could be significant and relevant. But where I would strongly disagree with you is the idea that a highly experienced helicopter pilot would, after a flame out of one engine in the relevant circumstances, attempt to calculate, and then fly, his aircraft towards a guesstimated tanks dry figure. That makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I can only imagine the response I gave earlier. Immediate landing would be essential, and in the meantime I would be anticipating entering autorotation at any moment.

That last point in particular doesn't seem to tie in with lack of RRPM at touchdown?

What about the 'sparks' and 'fireworks' described by witnesses? The 'misfiring' noises? The extremely low level flight? Much does not seem to fit?

We might do well to look more carefully at other possibilities? As I tried to outline in post #1835. As I said, the clues may be there.

Regards