PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2014, 18:46
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A story about wheel studs.

In 1952 the family were going to drive down from RAF Heany, near Bulawayo, to Durban for a holiday. We had a 1935 Chevrolet that had stacks of room for the four of us. The luggage went on a rack on the back and there was also a roof rack. The spare wheel was mounted in the port front wing as was the fashion at the time. My father thought that it would be prudent to take an extra spare wheel. A friend of his who ran a used car business dismounted a spare wheel off a 1935 Chevrolet delux that had a spare mounted on each side.

We drove off to Durban, three days travelling, had a week or so in Durban and then proceeded back to Rhodesia. We had a punture just north of Johannesburg and because the hired wheel was underneath some cases we used our wing mounted spare. Just short of Messina, the border town on the Limpopo and then Rhodesia we had a second puncture.

We unloaded the luggage off the roof rack, my father congratulating himself on his forsight, Jacked it up and took off the offending wheel. My father was having some difficult refitting the spare and was getting somewhat annoyed that it would not go on. He was even more annoyed when I pointed out that the wheel had six holes in it and not five.

A passing motorist gave him a lift to Messina to get the punture fixed and the garage brought him back. (You couldn't leave you wife and kids behind whilst you got a puncture fixed in South Africa anymore).

Once mobile again we drove back home.

Why General Motors would change the specification of the wheel hubs just because the delux model had leather upholstery and two spares wheels is beyond me.