PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2014, 12:52
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO,

Thanks for coming back. Perhaps I can throw some light on this. (P'raps not...)

The USMC requirements for F-35 were quite specific - 1200 foot (now 1500) asphalt strip with no, repeat, no support. F-35 launches from ship, lands, shuts down, waits for the CAS call. Starts up, does the mission, returns to the ship.

Now I understand that many people will query this requirement, even using words like 'loony'. I worked with the USMC for a few years, and I could use lots of words about them. 'Loony' isn't one that springs to mind.

F-35B is designed to do that, and at some stage in the programme it will do so, if it's not already done it. LO, you may not see it, but with all due respect, you (or I) aren't the OT&E approving authority. However, having worked on the programme and having been closely involved in the very detailed ground erosion testing carried out for F-35B, I remain convinced that the jet will be able to operate from the required locations. You weren't, and you don't.

Yes, austere base ops are restrictive. Yes, they are difficult. But that doesn't mean they can't happen. It often means challenging 'Air Force' centric views of what 'ops' mean. After around 30 odd years of doing this sort of stuff, I've come to the conclusion that it's far more about determination, imagination and hard work than the technology you are using. The USMC have all of those qualities in spades. (Yes, I happily admit to admiring the USMC).

Honestly, your suggestion that what the USMC really needs is aircraft designed in the 1960s, built in the 70s and since scrapped or retired is not exactly, in my view, suited to the actuality. However, it's always great to think about fresh ideas.

To me (and I know not to you) it's straightforward. The Marines want a credible strike jet that can operate off an L class or a forward strip, survive in current threat environments and talk/communicate with modern battlespaces so that it can do the job. That's F-35B. They've got it and I think they will make it work. You don't. That's fine. Not sure we gain much more by restating those views, so this is my final post for now.

Best regards as ever to all those thinking this stuff through,

Engines