PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B Mandate – ATCs Responsible for Deaths?
Old 17th Jan 2014, 07:48
Nautilus Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, I think they are pushing this through in an incredible hurry. If you are telling me that the mandate came in last December and they are going to move quickly to these new airspace procedures and not allow the non-ADS-B aircraft to have time to be updated?
The mandate was announced 5 years ago. I can understand your point, but as the GM ATC said in a recent interview, something like 40 non ADSB biz jets were imported between the announcement and the implementation. No one should have been taken by surprise, and possibly this whole argument is 5 years late?

I’m sure the United States could have decided to bring in the mandate five years ahead of time, but they realised it was going to cost the industry – especially the smaller operators – far more money than they could ever benefit from.
Agreed, but as previously stated ADSB does not give any new capability to US ATS whereas it makes a huge difference in Australia.

The fact is that the Australian Business Aviation Association was seriously misled by CASA when CASA stated that they would not consider any exemptions for the non-radar airspace.
If thats what CASA said then I agree they were lied to.

If I'm reading this CASA EX113/13 - Exemption - temporary relief from requirement to carry serviceable ADS-B transmitting equipment when operating in defined exempted airspace correctly it is CASA not ASA that are forbidding non ADSB aircraft in ADSB airspace. ASA hands are tied.