PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC135 HEMS accident in Norway
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2014, 21:02
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two pilots is not protection from wire strike and using a single point event such as this one as evidence is not justifiable.

There have been a significant number of two pilot wire strikes (and even two pilot CFIT). Just in the small backyard of Australia I can think of three two-pilot strikes straight away:
Chinook near Wivenhoe Dam, QLD, Huey near Pucka in Victoria, Black Hawk near Oakey, QLD.

I also agree wholeheartedly that two crew in the front is a minimum standard, but I don't believe that necessarily requires two pilots. The key is in ensuring the other front seater really is trained as a pilot assistant in every sense of the word - maps, avionics, CRM, IFR plates, systems understanding, checklists, performance, monitoring, etc. Not just a paramedic or crewman jumping in the front and being told how to run the mission radio and hold a map.

Norway, as far as I know, were the first to mandate two trained crew up the front, one of three sound recommendations from the 1996 fatal, and NLA have absolutely ensured that that person is fully capable up front. I understand EASA is moving to mandate a similar system??

The second recommendation from 1996 was that they mandated moving maps, and thirdly NVG for all night ops. Much of the rest of the world has yet to adopt any of these.

I believe, similarly to Gemini that a better wire detection/depiction method will be the next step in safety around this sort of wire strike on landing (if you have already adopted the three 1996 recommendations). Focusing on two pilot ops as a solution is a simple reaction, unsupported by evidence that is going to distract us from considering the complexity of the problem and creating a lasting solution that works. But I fear it will sound so convincing (as many straw man arguments do) and so simple, that it will be irristible to the regulators and politicians who don't like complex problems and evidence based solutions.

They want a fix, and want it now! Unfortunately, two pilots is not our answer for this sort of accident, IMHO.

We are thinking of you Sondre.