PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 16th Jan 2014, 19:40
RandomBlah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr

I have a bit of spare time, I'm bored. I'll bite.

It doesn't matter what the RN are doing. I'm sure the RN are planning behind the scenes that contains an element of paroachialism to get one over on the RAF (just like the RN tried to scuttle the RAF Seedcorn project when it was in the planning phase "we should be doing that"). Sadly, this is the type of behaviour that got the country's defence into this mess in the first place.

The studies that will inform a decision are being conducted on a national defence asset basis- not single service. it would not be in the interest of the country for a future MMA to be operated in isolation by either the RAF or the RN; it would be a Joint asset. it is also not in the interest of the country to procur a MPA - we need an airplatform that can deliver more than just what people know as the more traditional maritime type capabilities.

As for the Seedcorn folk, I wouldn't get too focused on them staying very long beyond their return of service (certainly not long enough to train ab initio RN personnel), because the majority will not.

Incidently, I'm quite happy that I managed to write a post without mentioning that there is no money. Oopps.