PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American 587 question
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2014, 18:55
Jack1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With over 8600 hours in B738, +1700 in B732, +2800 in B733 and +2700 in B734, one might say i "are" a pilot.

After reading the report and noticing it was a 734, the first question to arise in my head was, "was it really 70 degrees bank?" There was no info as to whether this was verified from the flight data recorder or a QAR or simply a statement from the pilots. In the book about the USAir flight, it was shown that a report from another pilot about a bank event at altitude on another 732, was not that much of a bank, yet still a significant amount. Pg 208, Flight 427, Gerry Byrne, 2002.
(Pilot said aircraft rolled 30 degrees right. FLT data recorder showed only 10 degrees) "pilots...have a tendency to either exaggerate or underestimate the effect of an in-flight emergency." So, i honestly must wait for more information.

Then you ask if we could avoid using the rudder in a 70 degree bank: i have only had it in sim training where they are telling us to use the rudder, so i did then. But both hands up, if it happens when next in the 738, i will use aileron and unload the elevator before using the rudder. Rudder will be a last resort. And even when using the rudder, I would never "kick" it back and forth, which did the vertical stabilizer in on the AA flight.

We must remember though that in most sim sessions, we are usually pre-warned about what will happen or at least which systems will be addressed. (At least here in the UK, which i honestly think is ridiculous) and our reactions are suspect as to whether they are truly honest.
Oh exactly, I'm hoping we will hear more about the Alaska flight because two rounds of 70 degree bank is quite a lot to handle unexpectedly! Precisely, but what worries me is if I'm at 1,000ft when the day comes I'll hopefully be looking after folks in the back, then I think you have no option but to pull everything out of the bag if you've been thrown to a 70 degree bank by wake you're going to lose altitude some way or another and its basically how quick you react to get back stable, my gut instinct would be gentle rudder and full aileron in the opposite direction and relax the elevator, fully echo the comments you make about 587.

I really don't get why they do the pre-warnings, isn't the true performance from someone going to come out when they get the unexpected that is the ultimate test, its what most sim sessions are for the unexpected.

The 70 degrees I keep banging on about was a one event and yet to be confirmed, but its those one off events aviation has come to scrutinise so they don't happen.

I hope everyone understands I'm simply seeking pilots thoughts on what I've said, it's very beneficial for everyone especially when talking about the unexpected.