PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American 587 question
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2014, 18:45
stator vane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack1985

With over 8600 hours in B738, +1700 in B732, +2800 in B733 and +2700 in B734, one might say i "are" a pilot.

After reading the report and noticing it was a 734, the first question to arise in my head was, "was it really 70 degrees bank?" There was no info as to whether this was verified from the flight data recorder or a QAR or simply a statement from the pilots. In the book about the USAir flight, it was shown that a report from another pilot about a bank event at altitude on another 732, was not that much of a bank, yet still a significant amount. Pg 208, Flight 427, Gerry Byrne, 2002.
(Pilot said aircraft rolled 30 degrees right. FLT data recorder showed only 10 degrees) "pilots...have a tendency to either exaggerate or underestimate the effect of an in-flight emergency." So, i honestly must wait for more information.

Then you ask if we could avoid using the rudder in a 70 degree bank: i have only had it in sim training where they are telling us to use the rudder, so i did then. But both hands up, if it happens when next in the 738, i will use aileron and unload the elevator before using the rudder. Rudder will be a last resort. And even when using the rudder, I would never "kick" it back and forth, which did the vertical stabilizer in on the AA flight.

We must remember though that in most sim sessions, we are usually pre-warned about what will happen or at least which systems will be addressed. (At least here in the UK, which i honestly think is ridiculous) and our reactions are suspect as to whether they are truly honest.