PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 16th Jan 2014, 17:08
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Nope, the requirement is still extant, it never became an ex-requirement, just the solution to the requirement was "not brought into service".
The endorsed Requirement (RMPA) was met to the entire satisfaction of a raft of senior officers and officials, who signed at every stage to say they were content. It is now an ex-requirement; it has expired because the money (and more) has been poured down the pan and there is no longer an endorsed requirement to replace this replacement.

Unfortunately, in signing off these milestones these senior staffs ignored professional advice from every other quarter in MoD, that only a complete idiot would sign the RTS, and until one could be found it couldn’t enter service. Post Haddon-Cave, and especially post-MoK (when Lord Philip confirmed ACAS had made a false declaration when signing the Chinook RTS), no one willing to make such a declaration stepped forward. Therefore, the programme could not be completed, because there was no valid safety case or Master Airworthiness Reference. The Mk2 didn't have them, and was known not to have them in the early 90s, and neither did the MRA4. These were known risks from Day 1; the mandated mitigation (stabilisation) was ignored. Yet, the same risks existed on other programmes in the same Directorate General, and were successfully mitigated. That is where any inquiry should start.

It is perhaps true that £2Bn would be saved in Through Life costs, but that "saving" was not the reason for cancellation. It was merely a notional change to the balance sheet as a result of cancellation. Spin in other words!

I fully agree money CAN be found, but it would require Minsters (and the Head of the Civil Service and PUS) to insist on implementing the mandated regulations and procedures for avoiding waste. They won't. Flatly refuse. No way. And DE&S are on record as agreeing. Instead, they chop programmes and cut staff and capability. That, my friend, is called a bloody great elephant in the room. I hope a means of circumventing it can be found.