PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR...VFR...Oops..*gulp* Hello IFR... Literally Out of the 'Blue' (Sky pun intended)
Old 16th Jan 2014, 14:08
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuji

For me scud running is when an attempt is made to fly VFR in minimal VFR conditions which would preclude the 2000 foot cloud base unless you were flying the Alps!
as with any flying it is important to always have an out which could be a 180 back to where you have come from not so clever if there is terrain low cloud an d poor visibility as part of the cocktail!
the other most obvious out is to chuck it away and climb to a safe altitude! in a straight line if you are very sure of what lies ahead or a spiral climb if in doubt!
that itself holds hazards as if you are spiralling in 50 kt winds the chances are you maybe carried where you do not want to be.
so a good wind awareness is important either spiralling or in a straight line especially when you are in IMC below the MSA.
it is vitally important to have good spatial awareness and to be sure where you are.
I have had approved departures which include spiral climbs to 10K before setting course in high terrain airports so not such a big deal if they are contained

Pace