PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2014, 09:41
Not-a_Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course it is tragic. The whole incident was tragic. And while I really feel for the girl's family, it seems inappropriate to immediately want to crucify the rescuers.

The rescuers in any situation put their lives in danger to mitigate the effects of mistakes made by others.

I've never worked as a resucer, but have been caught up in some motor-vehicle incidents that happened right in front of me. The level of chaos when multiple vehicles and casualties are involved is difficult to comprehend until one has experienced it first hand. When you're faced with a burning aircraft and bodies and walking wounded all over the place, the chaos must be exponentially greater.

If there are more than 50 mins of video, what is shown about the incident in the bits that landed on the cutting-room floor?
If the video was released by the family, or someone sympathetic to the family, is it possible that the edited version posted above paints an unfairly critical picture of how the rescuers responded?
Has anyone determined whether or not the injuries the girl sustained in the place crash were survivable?
Does slamming the rescuers with a lawsuit really achieve anything other than making them second-guess themselves in future?
Given the current cost-cutting trend in organisational management, how much will have to be spent on legal fees and insurance that could have been better spent on training?

Just a few thoughts...

Last edited by Not-a_Pilot; 16th Jan 2014 at 09:43. Reason: incorrect punctuation, added a phrase