PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B Mandate – ATCs Responsible for Deaths?
Old 16th Jan 2014, 07:42
Duane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you have missed the point Akro, the 50nm standard is used all the time at all levels. What they have done is say that they do not wish to use non-surveillance standards in RVSM airspace anymore. Most airliners fly in RVSM airspace and changing the rules such that most of the traffic can now be more efficiently flowed. This is a huge win for people trying to save/make a buck on a very large scale.

Bizjets who do not have this sort of thing attached surely cannot legitimately cry foul that they dont need/want it on, the jet itself is worth millions, if you want to save a buck go fly Tiger airways.

The problem was that the 1 aircraft in the airspace was ruining the entire sector for everyone as procedural separation standards had to be applied between every aircraft, and the non compliant aircraft. That could effect 10+ aircraft but to be realistic it probably effects 5 at most but that 5 would be effected indefinately if they were on the same route.

As usual, I would say that Dick is once again blowing this all out of proportion. Bizjets flying in RVSM airspace probably is about 1-2% of total control burden on average, I dont have a problem with the greater good for the most people in this circumstance.

With regards to weather.....
If you ask for something and I can give it to you...I will. If you ask me for something rediculous (I need 50 miles right of track straight into the teeth of every single arrival into Sydney) I will ask for something more realistic (normally a heading or something that I can base separation on) If you want to divert into active restricted area I wont let you (you can go on your own but the risk of you being shot down inadverdantly by the NAVY is your risk not mine So if you must go in there Ill be terminating your control service and wish you the best of luck) however I have a Radar...

Guys who dont have a radar now need to base separation not on standard routes (which is easy and pre calculated) but now that have to Mcgyver up some standard based on the clearance you have been issued (50nm L or R of track isnt unheard of enroute) rather than your actual position. And that is the problem, someone without surveillance coverage instantly wants 50nm left of track, and if you are running close to your standard laterally, they cannot give you your request without having a procedural breakdown in separation. Basically, you cant have it right away, it takes time for us to let you have your standard, and we might have to move a bunch of aircraft for you to get your diversion.

With this new change, we are actually keeping you away from 90% of the traffic by keeping people out of RVSM airspace where less aircraft are, the change wont effect as many aircraft and at the end of the day you will likely get diversions delivered more efficiently.