PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B Mandate – ATCs Responsible for Deaths?
Old 16th Jan 2014, 05:01
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick raises legitimate issues which deserve discussion rather than attacking Dick.

It is true that we are implementing ADS-B well ahead of the US (where the equipment is designed & made). Why?

It is also true that Australian has opted for a different system than the US which exacerbates that equipment availability issue.

It is true that many aircraft (from memory Dick's Citation is one), do not currently have a technical solution to fit ADS-B. I'd suggest that those with a chip on their shoulder about Dick being able to afford to run a Citation should read some of the previous threads first. Are we really trying to implement a system that is technically not yet possible for all aircraft?

I have heard (I do not know first hand) that some of the airlines are not ADS-B equipped and are operating with exemptions. It would be interesting to explore this. If CASA are selectively granting exemptions, then we are back to CASA at its best and we owe it to ourselves to highlight this.

The issue should not be that Dick (and others) can fly below FL290 and should put up with a workaround. The question should be why we are not able to facilitate the optimal operation of these aircraft?

And for Alfacentauri, you are unquestionably correct that not ATC would force an aircraft into very bad weather, however, I have witnessed them force aircraft into non-optimal weather for the sake of operational expediency. My question would be: are we making FL 280 & FL 290 unnecessarily crowded and does this diminish the safety in those levels? Without meaning to be alarmist, there is still an active ATSB investigation about ATC "losing" an airbus near Adelaide. Isn't it safer to have as many altitudes available as possible? Investigation: AO-2013-161 - Loss of separation between Airbus A330 VH-EBO and Airbus A330 VH-EBS near Adelaide SA on 20 September 2013.