PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 15th Jan 2014, 22:01
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
AVM Roberts

UAVs. The potential of UAVs has been examined in some depth by the MOD. Suffice it to say here that UAVs, as an alternative to MPA, would have a number of severe operational and technical limitations. Some, such as data transfer rates and the ability rapidly and accurately to deploy weapons in response to a fast-moving tactical situation, are likely to be insurmountable, even in the longer term.
Bolleaux - Sir. I know of 2 types of UAV, one of which in British service, that can find, fix and then prosecute a target without any problem - this target is an insurgent, with an AK47 and suicide chest rig, riding a motorbike at 60mph through an urban environment. I would call that an "ability rapidly and accurately to deploy weapons in response to a fast-moving tactical situation"!

Granted no-one has yet developed a MAD equipped depth charge carrying UAV, but I would not be so bold as you have been to say that its development is "insurmountable". There are some very nice people with the initials G and A in California who would more than willingly build you a technology demonstrator (probably based upon their Guardian maritime search UAV) if you would care to stump up some money?

...and there's the problem - like F3WMB said - THERE IS NO MONEY!!!

LJ