PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 15th Jan 2014, 21:34
Tandemrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So to summarise Sid: I started this exchange this morning by saying:
Firstly, if the aircraft really was tumbling, don't you think it's remarkable that it struck the roof of The Clutha in a perfectly upright, wings level attitude?

Secondly, if the aircraft was, as it's last radio transmission suggested, simply transiting back to base, I don't really think the fenestron drive failure would result in an instant forced landing into a very 'hostile' area. Nor can I imagine any plausible fenestron control failure in forward flight that would trigger an immediate auto into the City centre.

Is there any suggestion the aircraft was at low speed/hover immediately prior to the accident?
You then countered by saying:
En-route back to base, one minute out, slow(ing) to below 80 kts in order to raise downlink and/or arm flotation gear?
But now you've changed your mind?? It wasn't preparing for landing/on an approach at all?

So shall we just ask the mods to delete the wild goose chase you've just taken us on, and start again from the basic point I opened with?

An autorotation into a congested area would only have been required by a tail rotor malfunction whilst the aircraft was in or close to the hover.

Is there any evidence that it was?

Because if it wasn't, we need to be looking elsewhere to discover why neither engine was producing power.

I think there are other potential reasons.

It goes without saying, I am of course speculating. I probably know as well as anyone that I should not!