PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 15th Jan 2014, 19:14
4Screwaircrew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's tough to get a toe in the door, when I started back in the late 80s the market was buoyant and whilst you couldn't exactly pick any job there was some choice; however within a few weeks of getting on line the market died and friends just behind me in the system took years to get an airline job.

I think at the moment the cost of training is so high that people are looking for a high paying jet job immediately, an apprenticeship on the turboprops doesn't seem to lead through to the jets as it did for me. Indeed some people describe being trapped on turboprops, the jet operators are reluctant to train them and they cannot fund a further rating.

Being debt free at the end of training would allow you to work in some of the lower paid jobs to develop your skills and increase your experience, but then some operators only seem to want brand new pilots with no experience or habits. So you find yourself in that catch 22 situation, do you shell out for a Type Rating or hunt down an entry level job on old machines in sunnier parts of the world.

Only you know what would be "comfortable" to live on and that figure will vary depending on where in the world you find yourself, whatever you decide or find it's a fine way to earn a living, good luck with your choices.