PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA lands at wrong airport.
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2014, 19:04
ZOOKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was at school, obtaining the educational qualifications to train as an ATCO, I was often criticised for looking to of the window.
When I started my 'tower' validation training, I was criticised for not looking out of the window enough.
The large panes of tinted glass, through which pairs of eyeballs peer, are the fundamental pieces of kit in the visual control room.
Unfortunately, in the present cost-concious ATC environment, management and bean-counters are very keen to reduce the number of eyeballs available, and provide the remaining ones with other tasks, or kit which requires more 'head down' time.
At the unit where I worked, the night complement of 7 has been reduced to 3. Granted there has been a fall-of in traffic, but staff positions lost are often not re-instated when the 'customers' appear again.
Several managements in Europe are whooping with delight over the possibility of controlling airfields remotely from ATC centres using cameras and 'state- of-the-art-technology'.
At the airfield I worked at, to the west was a disused airfield and to the south-east a manufacturer's airfield. Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 a/c which had a go at the disused runway, at least 4 which were positioning for the factory and one chap in an MD80 who lined up with the dual- carriageway that served the main airport. All spotted and corrected in time. I remember working 'Birdseed 1000' with Lord King Of Wartnaby aboard, turning final for the factory.
Which ever side of those big glass windows you are, keep a sharp lookout folks.

Last edited by ZOOKER; 15th Jan 2014 at 20:15. Reason: Typo